Wednesday 4 January 2017

The Glory Days: At Sea

Happy New Year!

Apologies for my absence! I've fallen behind on my cruise report. The hustle and bustle of the holidays had consumed my life for the last six weeks, but now that I'm done eating and socializing, I can finally get back to my blogging.

Our third day was the first of two sea days. We slept in with not much planned for the day. Thank God brunch on the Lido deck didn't end until 11:30. We made it just in time before the omelette station closed! During our meal, we met a friendly woman from Naples, Florida who was cruising with her mother from Naples, Italy. She noticed we were engaged and gave us some very interesting marriage advice!

We returned to our cabin to change into our bathing suits, and headed up to the deck for some sun. Unlike other ships (the Vista), we had no problem finding two chairs. We lounged by the main pool, and ordered some drinks to settle in. Shortly after, Eric, our cruise director, announced it was time for the The Very Hairy Chest Contest. Since we were sitting in the perfect spot, we decided to stay for the show. There are about 10 contestants, so the show took longer than usual. Both the men and women participating were such great sports; they had the entire crowd laughing. We spent the rest of our afternoon basking in the sun.

We returned to our cabin in the late afternoon to get ready for our first formal night of the cruise. While I was blowdrying my hair before dinner, my hair got caught in the hairdryer. I hadn't noticed but the cabin hairdryer was missing a filter, which is why my (medium length, not even that long) hair got caught. We didn't have scissors, so the fiancé had to pull my hair out from the hairdryer. It was excruciatingly painful. My hair was in a massive clump and I had to go up to the spa to get the knot cut. It was a scary moment for me because I honestly thought I'd be missing a patch of hair. Moral of the story: Make sure your hairdryer has a working filter!

As for dinner, it was lobster night!

The fiancé had fried oysters and a caesar salad (not pictured) to start while I had two of my favourite soups - mushroom and Italian wedding. For our mains, we both had lobster. For dessert, he had the creme brûlée and I had a very decadent malted chocolate hazelnut cake. As we ate, the serving staff serenaded us.

The Playlist Production show of the night was Motor City. Once again, the cast put on an incredible performance singing (and dancing to) hit classics of the 60s, 70s and 80s. I had a great time bopping along to songs like Brick House and Respect. We also caught the two comedy shows of the night, performed by the same two comedians as the night before (Jeff "Big Daddy" Wayne and Chris Wiles).

As usual, I decided to turn in early for some shut eye. When we returned to the cabin, our stateroom attendant had left us a $25 wine gift card. I'm pretty sure we received this gift card due to my traumatizing hairdryer incident. Thank you, Bagus!

The fiancé ventured back out to the casino as I was getting ready for bed. Unfortunately, the ship was undergoing water maintenance, and there was no running water on the ship. It was only 2 AM and the night was still young! I did manage to get a few cups from the dripping faucet to brush my teeth. By the time my fiancé returned around 4 AM, the water was running again.

Day four is a stop at one of our most visited ports: St. Thomas! We are always happy to be in a familiar port, and St. Thomas is a port we have visited during every Caribbean cruise. Stay tuned, I'll be sharing what we did on our casual "on-your-own" day. I'll have it up before the end of January, be sure to check back on the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!